
Q Radio News/PA
Local council staff at Larne Port are being withdrawn from inspection duties over concerns for their safety and welfare.
In a statement Mid and East Antrim Borough Council said the decision was made following an upsurge in “sinister and menacing behaviour” in recent weeks, including the appearance of graffiti within the local area referencing increasing tensions around the Northern Ireland Protocol and describing port staff as “targets”.
Twelve council staff assisting officials from Stormont’s Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) and UK Border Force with checks at Larne Port were withdrawn from their duties with immediate effect on Monday.
The council said the ongoing situation has caused “extreme distress and worry to staff”, and it has “no option but to withdraw them from their duties in order to fulfil its duty of care and carry out a full risk assessment with the PSNI, Food Standards Agency and DAERA”.
In addition to concerns over the recent graffiti it is understood staff expressed concerns that individuals had been spotted taking down their number plate details.
Local council staff at Larne Port are being withdrawn from inspection duties over concerns for their safety. Mid and East Antrim Borough Council says the decision has been made following threats to staff relating to Brexit. pic.twitter.com/5B91WhGcId
— Q Radio News (@qnewsdesk) February 1, 2021